Monday, October 27, 2008

Last year

This past year was probably my life's busiest. I worked on putting together the first episode in a new animated DVD series called Scripture Bugs. Working by day as a web software engineer, I had to dig deep to find the energy to come home and work into the night on Scripture Bugs. It was an awesome opportunity and I'm glad that I was given the chance to work on it!

In the end I created all the characters and put all the visuals and animation together in about 10 months. It's 38 minutes long and it nearly killed me, literally. In the final stretch I pulled an all-nighter, working for nearly 24 hours straight. I finished and delivered the last scene with Moses parting the red sea and had hardly a minute to spare. I almost ran off the road from lack of sleep when driving to deliver the final renders.

It was hard, and I learned a lot. I'm very excited to start on the next one. I learned how to be a better animator and I've overcome all of the technical obstacles so I can spend less time on problems and more time on being creative.

Here are some screenshots and video.